Monday, March 9, 2009

More Information Literacy

You know, I thought I knew how to search and analyze websites. After working through Adventure 1 I realize I am on the right track, but am not efficient. The skill that I need to learn is to be more specific in my search and use the Boolean tools more.
I think that I have been relying on my experience and knowledge base to decide the validity of actual websites as well as the information given in a snippet without knowing what I am doing. Now that I recognize what I am doing, it makes me realize that not everyone will do that, especially kids. It the same with reading. Some kids just read the words, but don't think about what they are reading. With all the information and choices so readily avialable on the web, it sure is something necessary for students to develop the skill of evaluating information. It's pretty scary when they accept everything they see.
If I relate back to Glogowski's posting on education moving towards being interest base, learning from and with others who are like minded, students will need to be aware of who they are gaining information from and what kind of a filter that infomation needs to be put through. Opinions, ideas and facts are all part of learning together, but they need to be taken through different lenses. So the skills of Information Literacy become ever more crucial.

3 comments:

rhedamaurice said...

Joanne, welcome back!

Jim S. said...

Hey Joanne I didn't do this adventure. So what would be the top 5 searching tools, steps, or whatever for looking for info on the net?

Duane Hauk said...

I also thought about doing this adventure and hope to look at it as things slow down. Is the information teacher directed or does it outline steps for students?