Sunday, March 8, 2009

Information Literacy

I just read the resources regarding the importance of Information Literacy. I agree with the powerpoint and article that this should be a focus. We have so many students who accept what they read or hear as the gospel truth. Our system of education and traditional way of teaching reinforces students to give the expert or teacher what they want to hear. That also encourages them to accept what they are told. So challenging and verifying information is a foreign concept. If we want to move our students towards creating their own learning network they had better know how to discern the validity of their sources. I need to become more adept at it also.

1 comment:

Brent said...

I agree with your observation JoAnne. It's a slow process to get students to think critically about what they are viewing. A friend gave me a computer assignment for students where they evaluate different websites on the same subject. I use zoos (elementary). He uses conspiracy theory sites (J.F.K. assassination, U.F.O.s, etc...). Students have to come up with their own criteria to decide which sites are best. Any other suggestions out there?