Sunday, March 8, 2009

Glogowski and assessment

Okay, I don't know if I missed something significant or not, but I don't really get what Glogowski is saying about assessment. I get what he means when he talks of being a co-learner and more experienced peer alongside the student learner. He advocates replacing traditional assesment with the the practice of journeying alongside each individual student as they pursue knowledge. I see that as an exciting dynamic with great possibilities for both teacher and student, but I don't see that as full well-rounded assessment. Certainly, when you journey with someone closely, you would encourage all kinds of assessment AS learning, and maybe even some assessment FOR learning, but in the real world, no matter how much we talk about assessment, somebody asks the question about grading and marks. Even though I don't fully see his point, I most certainly appreciate and support his call to rethink what assessment should look like when we change the way we teach and learn.

1 comment:

darcyhelmink said...

just a thought JoAnne. I agree that our teaching and social environment are changing and that assessment needs to reflect this. You've got a point that Glogowski's thoughts are maybe more of a starting point then an endpoint, but the process of recognition is in itself valueable. how to go smarty pants!! darcy