Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sticky Sand

I am thinking of the sandbox metaphor for this class and relating it to an episode of Ellen that I just watched. She was interviewing the model who made the cover of the swimsuit edition of a magazine. During the photo shoot she had to roll in the sand. Ellen's comment was that it must have been uncomfortable because the sand gets into all kinds of annoying places and just sticks there. The model went on to talk about weeks later finding a piece of sand in her hair while on a flight and how it was embarrassing because she had to scratch it out of her hair and then examine it. Rather a meaningless conversation, in true Ellen style, but that's what I'm feeling right now. Sticky sand is making me uncomfortable and I know that what I really need to do is take one grain at a time and examine it.

2 comments:

Jim S. said...

Good point. Some of our other colleague have made the same point and That is...to learn these web tools well you need to take some time and work with it.

Unknown said...

Excellent analogy and Jim makes a good point too. Therefore, as I have said from the beginning, try to focus on the tools that might be most meaningful and relevant for you. If you are not sure, ask others for guidance. It is hard to enjoy "playtime" if you a feeling overwhelmed.

M