Sunday, February 22, 2009

Siemens 1

In his article Connectivism:A Learning Theory for the Digital Age Siemans makes the statement, "We derive our competence from our connections." It causes me to ponder what makes me feel competent. Is it my interactions with others, what others think of me, how competent I am at a task? What role do my emotions have. What does he really mean by competence? As I write this, I think that's the crux of the unsettledness I have with his statement. If comeptence refers only to competence in knowlewdge or skill I have, I possibly can agree. If competence refers to who I am as person, I have more problems with it. I know that I always need to learn more and more about everything, but sometimes in life, we just have to be happy with who we are. That doesn't stop the learning, but it it allows us to feel like we are worthy, despite our weaknesses. I will never be an athelete, my house needs to be cleaner, I'm uncomfortable in a crowd, etc., but I can counter act those deficits by knowing I also excel in some areas. Getting back to Siemens' comments, is it only through connecting with others and with knowledge that I grow? If we are continually growing, when do we ever reach competency?

2 comments:

darcyhelmink said...

I kind of think that maybe it matters who we look to for validation. Is it internal or external? I think that you have to "know and be happy with yourself" ( and boy do I recognize how dumb that sounds, but it's kind of true). I think that confidence is a key tool that we shouldn't forget to teach our students. It's something that I often struggle with in the lab, but it's probably the most rewarding part too when it does start to come around. Sorry, I kind of went on there a little bit. Just wanted to say that often your posting really make me think, and it's that the point of any program? (Maybe my comments can make you laugh??) THANKS!!!!!! darcy

darcyhelmink said...

Sorry, Ps to we have to reach compentancy, or is the process/road on which we travel just ok? I kind of think so, becuase for me, I'm never "done". Always a work in progress. darcy